The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum
The Students Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Watch HD Movies for free
The interview  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 am by Admin

» Watch HD Movies for free
The interview  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 am by Admin

» Genuine Data Entry Jobs
The interview  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am by Admin

» Part time survey jobs
The interview  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm by Admin

»  How to teach English to a Parrot
The interview  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:41 am by Admin

»  How to make a casserole
The interview  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:40 am by Admin

» How to keep a wild salamander as a pet
The interview  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:39 am by Admin

»  Pet Travel Scheme: bringing pets in the UK
The interview  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 am by Admin

»  Guide to the best nintendo Wii U games-Article
The interview  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:31 am by Admin

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Similar topics
    History homework question asked by my small bro

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 am by student2012

Between Germany and japan who was the last to surrender during the second world war

Comments: 0

Need Help in writing a Research proposal

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 am by The Students Forum(TSF)

How Do You Write a Research Proposal for Academic Writing
    If you are in college then one of the many questions on your mind may be, how do you write a research proposal for academic writing. To write an academic research proposal is most likened to writing a proposal that addresses a project. The only difference is that the research proposal has either academic or scientific research at the …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

The interview

Go down

The interview  Empty The interview

Post by Admin Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:05 am

Most jobseekers have in some point in their career where they have had legitimate grievances about a previous company, boss, co-worker, or corporate culture. Every company, even the best ones, are imperfect and can’t be ideal for every personality or work style. Every company and every boss has ‘wronged’ certain employees at times. Sometimes it happens out of bad faith from an individual, or often it happens because of other factors or circumstances but without ill intent.

How you relate your bad experience to a potential employer in an interview, however, can have a great impact on your chances of being chosen to move forward in the hiring process.

Whether you like it or not, or think it’s fair or not, an interviewer generally will naturally take your employers side in the stories you relate. Anyone who has been in a supervisory or managerial role for any length of time, comes to realize that there are always two sides to every story. And while they certainly realize that an employee may have legitimate complaints, the tendency is to wonder what the other side of the story might be.

That’s why job search advisers will consistently tell you to never bash or criticize previous employers. It almost never results in a good outcome for you. Yet… it’s one of the most common mistakes people make in job interviews.

The ‘wound’ is usually ingrained in them, and given the least bit of opportunity, it will open up. Regardless of how well the story is spun, though, it will likely raise concerns or questions about the other side.

Describing how a project failed because…

“Objectives and milestones weren’t well defined for me”

or how your previous manager and you had…

“Differing opinions about how to deal with customers”,

may be true stories, but may be interpreted in potentially negative ways. It would be natural for the interviewer to muse…

“I wonder how their previous boss views what happened.”

Furthermore, it can be viewed as if you are trying to avoid any personal responsibility and pointing the finger elsewhere. Candidates that take personal responsibility are always refreshing… because they are relatively rare! You could frame those same stories as…

“The project failed because I didn’t make sure I had objectives and milestones clearly defined for me. It was a great lesson to learn and a mistake I certainly won’t let happen again.”

Or…

“My manager and I had differing views on how to deal with customers, and I didn’t creatively come up with a resolution that would satisfy us both. The experience has taught me how to be more solution oriented.”

The resulting response from an interviewer is likely to be much more positive. They don’t expect to hire someone that has never made mistakes. They would like to find someone that takes responsibility, learns from their mistakes, and can progress.

As you describe your background and experience to potential employers, be sure to consider how it may sound to their ears. Show that you are someone that takes responsibility and learns from your mistakes. It will reflect on you much more positively and your results are likely to improve.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

https://thestudentsforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down