The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum
The Students Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Watch HD Movies for free
UC Berkeley’s Haas Application Essay 2012/2013 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 am by Admin

» Watch HD Movies for free
UC Berkeley’s Haas Application Essay 2012/2013 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 am by Admin

» Genuine Data Entry Jobs
UC Berkeley’s Haas Application Essay 2012/2013 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am by Admin

» Part time survey jobs
UC Berkeley’s Haas Application Essay 2012/2013 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm by Admin

»  How to teach English to a Parrot
UC Berkeley’s Haas Application Essay 2012/2013 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:41 am by Admin

»  How to make a casserole
UC Berkeley’s Haas Application Essay 2012/2013 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:40 am by Admin

» How to keep a wild salamander as a pet
UC Berkeley’s Haas Application Essay 2012/2013 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:39 am by Admin

»  Pet Travel Scheme: bringing pets in the UK
UC Berkeley’s Haas Application Essay 2012/2013 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 am by Admin

»  Guide to the best nintendo Wii U games-Article
UC Berkeley’s Haas Application Essay 2012/2013 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:31 am by Admin

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

History homework question asked by my small bro

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 am by student2012

Between Germany and japan who was the last to surrender during the second world war

Comments: 0

Need Help in writing a Research proposal

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 am by The Students Forum(TSF)

How Do You Write a Research Proposal for Academic Writing
If you are in college then one of the many questions on your mind may be, how do you write a research proposal for academic writing. To write an academic research proposal is most likened to writing a proposal that addresses a project. The only difference is that the research proposal has either academic or scientific research at the …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

UC Berkeley’s Haas Application Essay 2012/2013

Go down

UC Berkeley’s Haas Application Essay 2012/2013 Empty UC Berkeley’s Haas Application Essay 2012/2013

Post by Admin Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:52 am

UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business has released its MBA application essays and deadlines for the Class of 2015. As has been the case with nearly every other top-ranked MBA program this year, Haas has trimmed down its essays, going from six to five required essays in this year’s application, and shortening one from 1,000 to 750 words. Outside of that, there haven’t been too many dramatic changes this year, although the school’s new Essay #1 is an eye opener!

Here are Haas’s application deadlines and essays, followed by our comments in italics:

Berkeley (Haas) Admissions Deadlines
Round 1: October 17, 2012
Round 2: November 29, 2012
Round 3: January 16, 2013
Round 4: March 12, 2013

These deadlines are nearly identical to last year’s, although Haas’s Round 1 deadline actually comes almost a week later than it did last year. Note that Haas has four admissions rounds. In a way this makes it easier on you as you plan your Haas application — it gives you the option of applying at an “off-peak” time, such as early December, when you’re between most other top schools’ Round 1 and Round 2 deadlines. Aiming for Round 1 and Round 2 is still your best bet, and we recommend avoiding Haas’s last round if you can. There are simply no guarantees in terms of how many seats will be left by that point.

Also note that, even if you apply in Round 1, you won’t received a decision from Haas until January 10, so you will probably have to move ahead with your Round 2 applications before you hear back from Haas.

Berkeley (Haas) Admissions Essays

If you could choose one song that expresses who you are, what is it and why? (250 words)

This question is new this year, and replaces another “touchy-feely” one that asked “What brings you the greatest joy?” We expect that many applicants will over-think this essay, and trick themselves into coming up with a song that is neither close to their hearts nor does a good job of expressing who you are. Admissions officers frequently say, “There is no right answer to our essay questions,” but this guidance is particularly true in this case. Do not be afraid at all to have a little fun with this essay. Ideally your response will be deeper than saying “‘Call Me Maybe’ expresses me best,” but if a fun pop song expresses some aspect of you very well, then so be it! We doubt that many applicants’ chances will be ruined by this essay… If anything, this is a chance to have a little fun and stand out from the pack. Completely stumped? Then don’t sweat it… Don’t feel the need to pull off an irrational gimmick here just to try to stand out.

What is your most significant accomplishment? (250 words)

This question carries over unchanged from last year. Ideally the story you choose will demonstrate at least one or two of the key themes in your application. All things being equal, a story from your professional life will serve you best, but don’t feel that your significant accomplishment MUST be from the workplace.

Describe a time when you questioned an established practice or thought within an organization. How did your actions create positive change? (250 words)

This question also carries over unchanged from last year. This question is quite specific as far as essay prompts go, and hits on what MBA admissions officers really wan to see in applicants: a willingness to go beyond the norm, go outside of their comfort zone, and improve on the status quo (and don’t miss the fact that “question the status quo” is one of the school’s four key principles). Note the second part and its emphasis on “positive change”… this also gets to the heart of the matter. They don’t want to just see that you question everything all the time, but rather than you do it when there’s an opportunity to make things better. Anyone can be a thorn in everyone else’s side, but how did you make a positive impact on the community or organization around you?

Describe a time when you were a student of your own failure. What specific insight from this experience has shaped your development? (250 words)

This question is also unchanged from before. Again, notice how Haas uses the second part to specifically call out what the admissions committee looks for in your response. As we always advise with “failure” questions, this is the real meat of the essay — illustrating what you learned and, ideally, describing a later time when you put that lesson to work. These essays are all very short, so that last part may not make the final cut, but be sure to give enough emphasis to what you learned. In an essay this short, it’s easy to finish describing the failure and then realize you’ve already hit the word limit; you can’t afford to let that happen here.

a. What are your post-MBA short-term and long-term career goals? How have your professional experiences prepared you to achieve these goals? b. How will an MBA from Haas help you achieve these goals? (750 words for 6a. and 6b.)

This question also carries over unchanged from last year, although the word limit has dropped from 1,000 to 750 words. Once again, we find it interesting how Haas so specifically calls out what it wants to see in your response. This question is essentially the typical “Why an MBA? Why this school?” essay that most schools ask, although Haas makes an effort to explicitly call out parts a and b, which suggests that past applicants haven’t sufficiently answered both parts — especially the “Why Haas?” part. Ask yourself these questions: Where do you see yourself in a few years (and beyond that), and why do you need an MBA to get there? Specifically, why do you need a Haas MBA to get there? Why not another top-ten MBA program? Really force yourself to answer that question, even if not all of your answer makes its way into your final essay response!

For more advice on getting into Haas, download our Essential Guide to Haas, one of our 15 guides to the world’s top business schools. If you’re ready to start building your own application for Berkeley and other top business schools, call us at 1-800-925-7737 and speak with an MBA admissions expert today. And, as always, be sure to find us on Facebook and Google+, and follow us on Twitter!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thestudentsforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down