The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum
The Students Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Watch HD Movies for free
MIT Sloan Admission Essays and Deadline for 2012-2013 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 am by Admin

» Watch HD Movies for free
MIT Sloan Admission Essays and Deadline for 2012-2013 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 am by Admin

» Genuine Data Entry Jobs
MIT Sloan Admission Essays and Deadline for 2012-2013 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am by Admin

» Part time survey jobs
MIT Sloan Admission Essays and Deadline for 2012-2013 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm by Admin

»  How to teach English to a Parrot
MIT Sloan Admission Essays and Deadline for 2012-2013 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:41 am by Admin

»  How to make a casserole
MIT Sloan Admission Essays and Deadline for 2012-2013 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:40 am by Admin

» How to keep a wild salamander as a pet
MIT Sloan Admission Essays and Deadline for 2012-2013 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:39 am by Admin

»  Pet Travel Scheme: bringing pets in the UK
MIT Sloan Admission Essays and Deadline for 2012-2013 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 am by Admin

»  Guide to the best nintendo Wii U games-Article
MIT Sloan Admission Essays and Deadline for 2012-2013 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:31 am by Admin

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

History homework question asked by my small bro

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 am by student2012

Between Germany and japan who was the last to surrender during the second world war

Comments: 0

Need Help in writing a Research proposal

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 am by The Students Forum(TSF)

How Do You Write a Research Proposal for Academic Writing
If you are in college then one of the many questions on your mind may be, how do you write a research proposal for academic writing. To write an academic research proposal is most likened to writing a proposal that addresses a project. The only difference is that the research proposal has either academic or scientific research at the …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

MIT Sloan Admission Essays and Deadline for 2012-2013

Go down

MIT Sloan Admission Essays and Deadline for 2012-2013 Empty MIT Sloan Admission Essays and Deadline for 2012-2013

Post by Admin Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:05 am

MIT Sloan has released its admissions essays and deadlines for the Class of 2015. Sloan has made some tweaks this year, including dropping an essay, which continues a trend that we have seen among top MBA programs so far this year. However, the school’s famous cover letter returns. This cover letter is still unique among other top MBA programs’ application essays; apparently it still works well enough that the Sloan admissions committee wants to keep it around.

Here are MIT Sloan’s application deadlines and essays for the coming year, followed by our comments in italics:

MIT Sloan Application Deadlines
Round 1: October 24, 2012
Round 2: December 27, 2012

MIT Sloan’s Round 1 deadline is virtually unchanged from last year, but its Round 2 deadline has moved up (earlier) by about two weeks. Note that Round 1 applicants may not receive their decision from Sloan until early January 29 (although Sloan says it will send earlier notifications to applicants who are denied admission without an interview), so you may not know the status of your Sloan application until most other school’s Round 2 deadlines have come and gone in early January. That Round 2 deadline comes at an interesting time: right during the holidays! Be sure to plan well in advance if that will be a hectic time for you.

Also, remember that Sloan only has two main admissions rounds, so there’s no “Round 3 or not Round 3?” dilemma with Sloan. Although Round 2 is Sloan’s final round, don’t assume that applying in Round 2 is as bad as applying in Round 3 anywhere else. If you need the extra two months to get your application in order, then take that time to improve your chances.

MIT Sloan Cover Letter
Please prepare a cover letter (up to 500 words) seeking a place in the MIT Sloan MBA program. Your letter should describe your accomplishments, address any extenuating circumstances that may apply to your application, and conform to standard business correspondence. Your letter should be addressed to Mr. Rod Garcia, Senior Director of Admissions.

This isn’t an admissions essay in the traditional sense, but the cover letter is a rite of passage for MIT Sloan applicants every year. Over the years the prompt has evolved a bit, but at its core it remains the same: It serve as your all-in-one, cut-through-the-noise, “This is who I am, this is what I’ve done, and this is why I want to earn an MBA at MIT Sloan.” Whatever core themes you have decided to emphasize in your application, be sure that they are well represented here.

MIT Sloan Application Essays
We are interested in learning more about how you work, think, and act. For each essay, please provide a brief overview of the situation followed by a detailed description of your response. Please limit the experiences you discuss to those which have occurred in the past three years.

In each of the essays, please describe in detail what you thought, felt, said, and did.

Please describe a time when you had to convince a person or a group of your idea. (500 words)

This question carries over from last year with just some very subtle tweaking. Last year, Sloan’s questions (including for its cover letter) put a great deal of emphasis on the traits that demonstrate leadership. Sloan has toned it down a bit this year, but you can be certain that Sloan admissions officers are still looking for leaders in the applicant pool. If you just read that last sentence and thought, “Uh oh, I’ve never managed anyone or been a team lead,” don’t despair. That’s not how Sloan (or any top MBA program) defines leadership. One practical definition of leadership is the ability to positively influence others, and Sloan directly asks for an example of that ability with this question. Even if your example feels fairly mundane (such as an engineer convincing other engineers to pursue a certain technical solution), you will be successful if you can show real skill maturity in HOW you go it done. That’s what MIT Sloan is looking for.

Please describe a time when you overcame a personal setback. (500 words)

This question is new this year, and it also addresses some of the traits that admissions officers look for in emerging leaders: the ability to objectively take a challenge and setback and turn it into something positive, coming out better in the end. Many applicants see “setback” and think, “Oh no, a failure essay,” but you shouldn’t be afraid to write about a failure or shortcoming. (You also don’t need to write about one of these… a setback could also be something that happens to you, such as a devastating sports injury.) In fact, writing a response about overcoming a failure or weakness will usually more powerful than answering with “My biggest challenge was completing a marathon.” While that may sound impressive, it’s far less revealing than a story about a time when you had to make a more fundamental change to who you are as a person and as a leader.

For more advice on getting into Sloan, download our Essential Guide to MIT Sloan, one of our 15 guides to the world’s top business schools. If you’re ready to start building your own application for Sloan and other top business schools, call us at 1-800-925-7737 and speak with an MBA admissions expert today. And, as always, be sure to find us on Facebook and Google+, and follow us on Twitter!
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thestudentsforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down