The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum
The Students Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Watch HD Movies for free
Helpful Tips for Writing an Abstract I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 am by Admin

» Watch HD Movies for free
Helpful Tips for Writing an Abstract I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 am by Admin

» Genuine Data Entry Jobs
Helpful Tips for Writing an Abstract I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am by Admin

» Part time survey jobs
Helpful Tips for Writing an Abstract I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm by Admin

»  How to teach English to a Parrot
Helpful Tips for Writing an Abstract I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:41 am by Admin

»  How to make a casserole
Helpful Tips for Writing an Abstract I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:40 am by Admin

» How to keep a wild salamander as a pet
Helpful Tips for Writing an Abstract I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:39 am by Admin

»  Pet Travel Scheme: bringing pets in the UK
Helpful Tips for Writing an Abstract I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 am by Admin

»  Guide to the best nintendo Wii U games-Article
Helpful Tips for Writing an Abstract I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:31 am by Admin

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

History homework question asked by my small bro

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 am by student2012

Between Germany and japan who was the last to surrender during the second world war

Comments: 0

Need Help in writing a Research proposal

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 am by The Students Forum(TSF)

How Do You Write a Research Proposal for Academic Writing
If you are in college then one of the many questions on your mind may be, how do you write a research proposal for academic writing. To write an academic research proposal is most likened to writing a proposal that addresses a project. The only difference is that the research proposal has either academic or scientific research at the …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Helpful Tips for Writing an Abstract

Go down

Helpful Tips for Writing an Abstract Empty Helpful Tips for Writing an Abstract

Post by The Students Forum(TSF) Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:41 am

Reading some helpful tips for writing an abstract is very important for anyone that is required to write a formal paper. If you are a student, at some point you may have to write an abstract as part of a larger paper. Abstracts are a very significant portion of academic papers, in that your abstract is able to summarize an entire paper in a single paragraph. The abstract is used by many people as a way to determine whether or not they want to read the entire work. In fact, you will find that, when researching material for a dissertation or thesis, you are perusing the abstract of various academic sources in order to determine whether or not the information is worth reading. Understanding how what an abstract is and the purpose it serves can be of great assistance in helping you write an abstract effectivel.

What Is an Abstract?

In order to make good use of any helpful tips for writing an abstract it very important to understand what an abstract actually is. An abstract is basically a short summary that is used for large papers, such as a thesis or dissertation. As the majority of theses and dissertations are quite lengthy, an abstract is used to provide a very complete but concise summary of the entire academic writing.

The abstract is vitally important because it is a short representation of the entire dissertation or thesis. The abstract is what a person will read in order to determine if the overall material will be of interest to them. In many ways it can be considered the selling point for your entire thesis, and it should be treating as such by presenting the topic of your dissertation in a way that will make others interested in reading it thoroughly. In order to write an abstract that will capture the attention of readers while summarizing the entire paper there are a few tips that you should follow.

Following the helpful tips for writing an abstract presented below will allow you to present the information concerning your thesis in a manner that will others to be interested in your academic writing.

Identify the Problem and Research Solution -The abstract should have an opening that identifies that particular subject matter and how the research that you have done will provide a solution. It is very important to make this clear in the initial sentence or two of the abstract as people want to know immediately what the dissertation is about.
Stick to the Word Count - In general, an abstract is usually no more than 250 words. It is important to keep the word count in mind when writing an abstract. Knowing that you only have 250 words to summarize your entire dissertation can prevent you from being overly descriptive.
Include Information on Methods and Results - Part of the abstract should briefly mention the methods band results that pertain to your topic. The method is basically the type of research you did, and the results are what was learned or created as a result of the methods.
Mention the Implications of Your Research - At the close of the abstract it is important to briefly mention how results affect the initial problem that was mentioned in the opening of the abstract.
Review and Update the Abstract - Upon completing your entire dissertation, it may be necessary for you to review and update the abstract. As you write your dissertation, your views may change and it may necessary to change the abstract to reflect the shift in viewpoint presented in your dissertation.

Tailoring Your Abstract

There are a variety of academic disciplines that require abstracts for a thesis or dissertation. You should review the abstracts from dissertations from a similar discipline to grasp how you should present your information to the public. Likewise, there are a number of resources such as the American Psychological Association (APA) Style Guide which can be very helpful in detailing how an abstract should be written.

The Students Forum(TSF)

Back to top Go down