The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum
The Students Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Watch HD Movies for free
Transitional Word Lists for Students I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 am by Admin

» Watch HD Movies for free
Transitional Word Lists for Students I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 am by Admin

» Genuine Data Entry Jobs
Transitional Word Lists for Students I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am by Admin

» Part time survey jobs
Transitional Word Lists for Students I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm by Admin

»  How to teach English to a Parrot
Transitional Word Lists for Students I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:41 am by Admin

»  How to make a casserole
Transitional Word Lists for Students I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:40 am by Admin

» How to keep a wild salamander as a pet
Transitional Word Lists for Students I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:39 am by Admin

»  Pet Travel Scheme: bringing pets in the UK
Transitional Word Lists for Students I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 am by Admin

»  Guide to the best nintendo Wii U games-Article
Transitional Word Lists for Students I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:31 am by Admin

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

History homework question asked by my small bro

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 am by student2012

Between Germany and japan who was the last to surrender during the second world war

Comments: 0

Need Help in writing a Research proposal

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 am by The Students Forum(TSF)

How Do You Write a Research Proposal for Academic Writing
If you are in college then one of the many questions on your mind may be, how do you write a research proposal for academic writing. To write an academic research proposal is most likened to writing a proposal that addresses a project. The only difference is that the research proposal has either academic or scientific research at the …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Transitional Word Lists for Students

Go down

Transitional Word Lists for Students Empty Transitional Word Lists for Students

Post by The Students Forum(TSF) Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:32 am

Transitional Word Lists for Students
Transitional word lists are important for students to have when learning to write. Transitional words are used in writing to link paragraphs, sentences and ideas. This linkage using verbs, adverbs, conjunctions or prepositional phrases adds to the clarity and complexity of writing and serves to better communicate the message being transmitted by the writer. The following examples of transitional words are presented in different categories and show that transitional words can be used in and between sentences, as well as between paragraphs.

Using Transitional Words

Transitional words can be used to add to a central point. Consider the following example:

The fact that the suspect had earlier threatened the victim, coupled with his inability to provide an alibi, led the police to charge him with assault.
The transitional words here are “coupled with” as shown in italics in the sentence. In this case, those words connect two separate pieces of evidence into a basis for an action.

Alternatives

Transitional words are commonly used to provide alternatives in the message the writer is attempting to communicate. Very common alternative words are “or” and “either.” A more complex transitional word in this category is “alternatively” as used in the following example:

The bank had the right to foreclose on the home in question due to missed mortgage payments; alternatively, it could work with the homeowners to create a payment plan.
The transitional word “alternatively” distinguishes between two separate courses of action open to the bank.

Comparisons

In writing, it is a common to make comparisons in the course of communication. Common transitional comparison words are “but,” “conversely,” “similarly” and “by way of comparison.” These words can be used both within the structure of a sentence or used to link separate sentences or whole paragraphs. For example, consider the transitional phrase “by way of comparison” as the beginning sentence in a paragraph concerning educational research:

By way of comparison to the teachers union presentation, a study commissioned last year by the school board suggest that class sizes can be increased by up to five students without compromising teacher effectiveness.
Support

Both in fiction and in academic writing, the author often needs to make a point offering evidence in support of or proving a particular point. Common transitional words used to accomplish this include: “given these facts,” “in the final analysis,” “since,” and “evidently.” This can be seen in the following example:

Supporters and opponents of the property tax increase offered valid points in their arguments at the public forum; in the final analysis, however, it was the need to increase city tax revenue that caused the measure to be passed.
Chronology

Transitional words are essential in setting times and chronology of action in writing. Transitional words used for these purposes include:

Previously
Simultaneously
In the first place
At this point
Consider an example of a reporter commenting on the status of tabulating election night results:

With 50 percent of the precincts reporting, there is less than a percentage point difference between the candidates. At this time, it is impossible to predict a likely victor.
Quantifiers

Other transitional words fall into a category called quantifiers. These words define differences between amounts, whether of physical materials or in reference to ideas. Common quantifiers are:

At the very least
All of the
Less than
All
Consider the following example:

Due to the severe snow emergency, less than the minimum number of commissioners were able to arrive for the meeting and it had to be rescheduled for next week.
New Ideas

There are times when a writer wants to make clear to the reader that a new idea, section or sequence is about to begin. Certain transitional words serve as introductions to make it clear that a new section is commencing.

Introduction words examples are:

At the beginning
By way of example
First of all
To illustrate:

By way of example, I will pass around samples of volcanic rock so you may observe just how a volcanic eruption changes the physical makeup of the surrounding environment.

Transitional Words are Writing Helpers

Transitional words used correctly greatly enhance the ability of a writer to convey a message and allow a reader a clearer understanding of what is being presented.

Several of the examples presented show that transitional words are also necessary in spoken language as well as the written word. They allow the placement of ideas and concepts without extensive written or spoken explanation.

Transitional words allow for both shortcuts and amplification in the same word groupings depending on the use and placement of the words. For those interested in the clearest communication of their message in either written or spoken form, mastery of transitional words is an essential skill.

The Students Forum(TSF)

Back to top Go down