The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum
The Students Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Watch HD Movies for free
Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 am by Admin

» Watch HD Movies for free
Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 am by Admin

» Genuine Data Entry Jobs
Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am by Admin

» Part time survey jobs
Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm by Admin

»  How to teach English to a Parrot
Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:41 am by Admin

»  How to make a casserole
Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:40 am by Admin

» How to keep a wild salamander as a pet
Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:39 am by Admin

»  Pet Travel Scheme: bringing pets in the UK
Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 am by Admin

»  Guide to the best nintendo Wii U games-Article
Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:31 am by Admin

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

History homework question asked by my small bro

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 am by student2012

Between Germany and japan who was the last to surrender during the second world war

Comments: 0

Need Help in writing a Research proposal

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 am by The Students Forum(TSF)

How Do You Write a Research Proposal for Academic Writing
If you are in college then one of the many questions on your mind may be, how do you write a research proposal for academic writing. To write an academic research proposal is most likened to writing a proposal that addresses a project. The only difference is that the research proposal has either academic or scientific research at the …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay

2 posters

Go down

Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay Empty Re: Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay

Post by student2012 Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:23 am

great resources, you have no idea how this information has helped me.

student2012

Back to top Go down

Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay Empty Tips for Writing a Personal Narrative Essay

Post by The Students Forum(TSF) Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:49 am

Writing an engaging personal narrative essay requires you to focus on both the key points of information to be conveyed as well as the many details which make the narrative essay interesting.

A personal narrative essay is about a personal experience, so it is usually written in the first person. To maximize its impact, the essay should:

Be written to have an emotional impact on the reader
Include a lot of references to sensory perceptions and emotions
Use vivid details and imagery
Structure of the Essay

The opening of the essay needs to let the reader know the essence of what you will be describing and your point of view.
The body of the story needs to give the reader a very clear idea of what happened and how the author feels about that. The story can be told chronologically or the facts may be grouped by importance or type.
The final paragraph needs to wrap up and state the point of the story, whether it is a lesson, an idea, or just a learning experience.
Writing the Essay

Writing a good narrative essay requires you to include interesting information in an engaging way. Here are some tips:

Record yourself telling the story. That will help your organize your story and make the writing flow.
Include anecdotes and dialogue in the essay.
Use transitory words to connect sentences like: therefore, however, or for example.
Vary the structure of your sentences to make the writing more interesting. Try adding some compound, complex, or interrogative sentences.
Make the words lively, descriptive, exciting, active, emotional, and precise.
Example of Narrative Writing

Here is an example of writing used in a personal narrative essay. Notice the tone and words that set the mood. You can almost feel the heat and humidity.

“It was the middle of springtime and across from my house where the incident took place. There was a lake there in which my brother and I loved to explore from time to time. The humidity and water drops where reminiscent of a fully functional sauna. The onslaught of heat and burning glow of the sun was relentless.”

Types of Essays

An essay is a short piece of writing which is either analytical or speculative. Most essays are written from the author’s point of view.

The word “essay” began to be used in 1588 when Michel de Montaigne published a book called Essais and the word represents a short work written on a particular subject.

There are many kinds of essays, and following is a short explanation of a few of them.

Persuasive or Argumentative Essay

The persuasive or argumentative essay picks a certain viewpoint and offers support of it with data, statistics, and other evidence. Its purpose is to make the reader agree with the proofs and conclusions. In other words, the reader should share the viewpoint of the writer.

Persuasive essays need to have logical and clear reasoning supported by facts and arguments.

Comparison Essay

A comparison essay will compare two things and point out their similarities and differences. The writer needs to find as many similarities and differences as possible so he will need to do some research.

It does not matter in what order the facts are presented, as long as they are easy to understand by the reader.

Descriptive Essay

Descriptive essays answer the questions: how, what, why, when, and where. They can be written about any subject; a place, person, animal, event, thing, or memory. The writer will share with the reader what he feels and perceives.

The tone should be sensory in nature so the reader can almost see, smell, taste, hear, and feel what the author experienced.

Narrative Essay

A narrative essay tells a story that has a point to be made. The reader may receive an idea or a lesson from the essay. The story is told using sensory details and emotional language.

A narrative essay usually reflects something of a personal nature so many times it becomes a personal narrative essay.

The Students Forum(TSF)

Back to top Go down