The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum
The Students Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Watch HD Movies for free
Comparison of Business and Academic Writing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 am by Admin

» Watch HD Movies for free
Comparison of Business and Academic Writing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 am by Admin

» Genuine Data Entry Jobs
Comparison of Business and Academic Writing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am by Admin

» Part time survey jobs
Comparison of Business and Academic Writing I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm by Admin

»  How to teach English to a Parrot
Comparison of Business and Academic Writing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:41 am by Admin

»  How to make a casserole
Comparison of Business and Academic Writing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:40 am by Admin

» How to keep a wild salamander as a pet
Comparison of Business and Academic Writing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:39 am by Admin

»  Pet Travel Scheme: bringing pets in the UK
Comparison of Business and Academic Writing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 am by Admin

»  Guide to the best nintendo Wii U games-Article
Comparison of Business and Academic Writing I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:31 am by Admin

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

History homework question asked by my small bro

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 am by student2012

Between Germany and japan who was the last to surrender during the second world war

Comments: 0

Need Help in writing a Research proposal

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 am by The Students Forum(TSF)

How Do You Write a Research Proposal for Academic Writing
If you are in college then one of the many questions on your mind may be, how do you write a research proposal for academic writing. To write an academic research proposal is most likened to writing a proposal that addresses a project. The only difference is that the research proposal has either academic or scientific research at the …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

Comparison of Business and Academic Writing

Go down

Comparison of Business and Academic Writing Empty Comparison of Business and Academic Writing

Post by The Students Forum(TSF) Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:05 am

Making a comparison of business and academic writing is important so you can understand the different writing methods. There are more types of academic writing than business writing and the main differences between the two relate to the style of the writing.

Academic Writing

The style of academic writing is formal and uses the third person perspective. The focus of the writing is on facts and issues rather than the writer’s opinion. The language uses precise words and does not include slang words, jargon, or abbreviations.

Here’s an example of formal writing: The man made bad choices which caused him to lose money and fame. An example of informal writing would be: I think the man’s a loser. The second one is not precise, uses the first person, has a slang word, and uses a contraction.

To write in the academic style, you need to put a lot of thought into your writing before you start. An outline can be a helpful tool for good planning. You also need to have perfect grammar and punctuation. Lastly, you need to have a consistent style. If you are writing for a school, check to see it they recommend a certain style of writing.

Academic writing is intended for an informed audience and is serious in nature. Here are some of the forms that incorporate academic writing with explanations of some.

Abstract - This is a short summary of an article, thesis, review, or other long report on a subject or event.
Books and book reports
Conference paper - This paper is presented at a conference.
Dissertation - This is written as a requirement for an advanced degree.
Essay - An essay is a short piece written from the author's personal point of view.
Explication - This is usually a short work explaining a part of a particular work
Research Article or Research Paper - The paper is much longer than the article.
Thesis - See “dissertation”
Business Writing

The main requirement and focus of business writing is clarity. Clear and precise language must be used so the communication is easy to read. The style needs to be professional and courteous but not overly formal. Ideas need to be well developed with examples and details as needed. There should not be too many extra words, like adjectives and adverbs, and clichés are not necessary.

As you can see, in the comparison of business and academic writing there is much more involved in academic writing than is business writing. Here are the forms that need the proper business writing style: letters, memos, business email, press releases, executive summaries, and resume writing. Here are some of the things you need to remember about business writing:

Use an active voice, not passive. An active voice uses action verbs. Here is an example: Passive=“What the company is missing...” Active=“The company lacks...”
Use shorter and simpler sentences. Sentences with less than 25 words would be ideal.
Avoid qualifiers like: would be, may be, and probably. These words weaken the tone of what you are saying.
The writing should suggest action instead of focusing on mental states. Instead of saying, “We believe”, or “We think” say, “We recommend” This goes along with the active tone of the communication.

As you can see, there are a lot of differences between these two styles of writing. Academic writing is formal, using the third person, while business writing is less formal and can use any point of view. Academic writing focuses on facts, while business writing gives opinions. Long sentences are alright in academic writing, but are cumbersome in business writing.

In the comparison of business and academic writing, there are a few points in common. Both styles need well-developed ideas that are communicated precisely and clearly. The tone is serious in both, whether reporting on research or making recommendations for change. Lastly, proper grammar and punctuation is very important in both forms of communication.

The Students Forum(TSF)

Back to top Go down