The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum
The Students Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Watch HD Movies for free
How to Choose A good Dissertation Topic I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 am by Admin

» Watch HD Movies for free
How to Choose A good Dissertation Topic I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 am by Admin

» Genuine Data Entry Jobs
How to Choose A good Dissertation Topic I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am by Admin

» Part time survey jobs
How to Choose A good Dissertation Topic I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm by Admin

»  How to teach English to a Parrot
How to Choose A good Dissertation Topic I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:41 am by Admin

»  How to make a casserole
How to Choose A good Dissertation Topic I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:40 am by Admin

» How to keep a wild salamander as a pet
How to Choose A good Dissertation Topic I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:39 am by Admin

»  Pet Travel Scheme: bringing pets in the UK
How to Choose A good Dissertation Topic I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 am by Admin

»  Guide to the best nintendo Wii U games-Article
How to Choose A good Dissertation Topic I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:31 am by Admin

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

History homework question asked by my small bro

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 am by student2012

Between Germany and japan who was the last to surrender during the second world war

Comments: 0

Need Help in writing a Research proposal

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 am by The Students Forum(TSF)

How Do You Write a Research Proposal for Academic Writing
If you are in college then one of the many questions on your mind may be, how do you write a research proposal for academic writing. To write an academic research proposal is most likened to writing a proposal that addresses a project. The only difference is that the research proposal has either academic or scientific research at the …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

How to Choose A good Dissertation Topic

Go down

How to Choose A good Dissertation Topic Empty How to Choose A good Dissertation Topic

Post by Admin Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:42 am

How to Choose a Dissertation Topic
Finding a dissertation topic is so important, and so difficult. Some graduate students are given their dissertation topic by
their advisor, or are confined by the data set that is available. Others are left to their own devices and struggle for
months. If you're in the second group, here is some help!
In one of the self assessments on my web site called "Do You Deserve a Ph.D?" there is a question: "What is one aspect
of this subject that you would most welcome some advice, information or help on?" By far the most common answer is,
"I need help choosing my dissertation topic."

Your choice of dissertation topic will indeed play a big role in your academic career, so you are wise to put a lot of
thought into it.

Here are some tips to jumpstart this all-important decision:

- Read as much as you can! As you read, don’t just underline. Make notes about how each article does or doesn’t fit in
with your fledgling ideas, how you might use it later, and any other deep thoughts you might have. You won’t remember
later why you put a big star near the title.

- Start early. If you can use the papers that you are required to write during the courses of your early graduate years as
jumping off points, you’ve saved yoursef a lot ot time. Be thinking about the potential topic from the day you start
graduate school.

-

Talk to others. Don’t insulate yourself. Run your ideas by your peers and your advisor. If your advisor doesn’t like to
engage in such scholarly dialogue with beginners (which should be his/her role, but you may not be lucky enough to
have such an advisor), then find a mentor and throw ideas around with her/him.

-

Use a systematic approach. Organize your search and the notes and references you accrue.

-

Look in the right places for ideas. Scan completed dissertations by students in your department or in your field of interest
and read the conclusions for suggestions for future research. Do the same with recent articles or confence presentations
by noted scholars. Someone has already done a lot of thinking about this, for this very reason - to advance the field and
encourage further work on the topic.

-

Look at excellent studies in a different area than yours and see if you can adapt the methodology, use of theory, or other
aspects of the study to your area.

-

"Write before you’re ready." This is the mantra of Robert Boice, a researcher who studied successful professors to find
out what they did right (Advice for New Faculty Members). A common theme was that they wrote their thoughts down
regularly, not matter how poorly formed they were. He found in his studies that a regular writing habit increased the
number of daily creative thoughts significantly.

Dissertation Coach * Dissertation Coaching * Tenure Help *
http://www.academicladder.com Powered by Joomla! Generated: 7 September, 2012, 03:29 -

Think strategically. The topic of your dissertation will probably determine where or whether you get a job, and how your
career will advance. Make sure there is a need in academia for your specific area of specialization.

-

Listen to your gut instinct. If you love a topic, you wil have a much better life if you pursue it. If it’s not a well-positioned
topic (see #7), perhaps you can tweak it to make it more strategically desirable.

-

Don’t try for the Nobel Prize. Make the scope of your dissertation possible. You want to be able to finish it and get a job.
Elegant, simple research is often the most highly regarded work.

You can do it! Follow these steps and you will find a topic that you love. Or at least like.

This article, written by Gina J. Hiatt, Ph.D., founder of Acade
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thestudentsforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down