The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Students Forum
Welcome to the student forum
The Students Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Latest topics
» Watch HD Movies for free
American Climbers Killed in Peru  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 am by Admin

» Watch HD Movies for free
American Climbers Killed in Peru  I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 am by Admin

» Genuine Data Entry Jobs
American Climbers Killed in Peru  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 7:17 am by Admin

» Part time survey jobs
American Climbers Killed in Peru  I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm by Admin

»  How to teach English to a Parrot
American Climbers Killed in Peru  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:41 am by Admin

»  How to make a casserole
American Climbers Killed in Peru  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:40 am by Admin

» How to keep a wild salamander as a pet
American Climbers Killed in Peru  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:39 am by Admin

»  Pet Travel Scheme: bringing pets in the UK
American Climbers Killed in Peru  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 am by Admin

»  Guide to the best nintendo Wii U games-Article
American Climbers Killed in Peru  I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 28, 2013 11:31 am by Admin

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

History homework question asked by my small bro

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 am by student2012

Between Germany and japan who was the last to surrender during the second world war

Comments: 0

Need Help in writing a Research proposal

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 am by The Students Forum(TSF)

How Do You Write a Research Proposal for Academic Writing
If you are in college then one of the many questions on your mind may be, how do you write a research proposal for academic writing. To write an academic research proposal is most likened to writing a proposal that addresses a project. The only difference is that the research proposal has either academic or scientific research at the …

[ Full reading ]

Comments: 0

American Climbers Killed in Peru

Go down

American Climbers Killed in Peru  Empty American Climbers Killed in Peru

Post by Admin Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:01 am

CNN) -- A large, hanging and then collapsing chunk of ice is likely the reason why two American climbers died in Peru, an investigator said Monday.

The bodies of Ben Horne and Gil Weiss were found two days earlier, a heartbreaking end to a high-tech search.

The men disappeared while attempting to scale the south face of Palcaraju Oeste, a 6,110-meter (20,000-foot) tall mountain located in Huaraz, a region popular with climbers.

Ted Alexander, who coordinated an investigation and effort to find the men, said Horne and Weiss made it to the summit and ran into trouble on their way down.

Evidence suggests that one of the men likely went to look over a serac -- a large block of ice -- to see if they could descend. Something gave out, causing the climber to fall some 65 feet, said Alexander. But because the men would have been tethered together, that first fall likely pulled the other man off the edge, which sent them both spiraling off a large cliff.

"Their equipment was strewn over the glacier. There was sign of great impact. (It) would lead us to believe that they did fall. My guess, looking at the photos and from talking to our guys out there that it was probably about a 1,000-foot fall," Alexander said.

Weiss, 29, was the founder of Beyond Adventure, a company consisting of professional guides, logistical experts and photographers. He posted June 11 on his Facebook page that he was leaving Boulder, Colorado, for Peru "for another season in the High Andes."

On July 10, Horne, 32, posted pictures and a chronicle of experiences in Peru on the climbing blog Pullharder.org.

"The Cordillera Blanca is world renowned for its high altitude mountaineering," he wrote. "But almost as awesome as the mountains themselves is the motley crew of international climbers who come to try their hand at getting high, on big peaks, cheap and fast."

Shay Har-Noy, who heads the technology company Tomnod that uses satellite imagery, said he enlisted the help of climbers and technology experts to find the pair using an application he built, with hundreds of people at one point poring through satellite images looking for signs of an avalanche. That information was then sent to search and rescue crews on the ground in Peru.

Horne and Weiss were extremely fit and experienced climbers, having practiced the sport for more than a decade, according to Har-Noy. Weiss had been to Peru several times before, though this was Horne's first such visit.

"Gil had the most optimistic view on practically everything," Gil's sister Galit Weiss told CNN. "I think it's really important to understand that you have to make the most of what you've got, and you've got to be grateful for everyone in your life."[Only admins are allowed to see this link]
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://thestudentsforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum